Ecohumanist society and ecology
»Save the Earth« is the most frequent phrase which we love to repeat over and over again when talking and writing about preservation of the planet’s ecological integrity. But such talk is only a product of our arrogance, superiority, exaggerated self-confidence and mistaken belief that we are actually the ones to decide our planet’s destiny. We cannot save the planet and nature. Nature does not need our help.
Let’s save ourselves when there is still time.
Engels said: “Let us not, however, flatter ourselves overmuch on account of our human victories over nature. For each such victory nature takes its revenge on us. Each victory, it is true, in the first place brings about the results we expected, but in the second and third places it has quite different, unforeseen effects which only too often cancel the first. «
Therefore, ehohumanist society does not boast of victories over nature, because it is aware that all the victories are actually their defeats. To avoid this, it builds up such a social system, which relieves ecological integrity of the planet and receives them for itself and her descendants.
Ecohumanist society is an eco-conscious society of individuals who take responsibility for their living and working environment. Its social order:
- doesn’t threaten the planet’s ecological integrity,
- trains an eco-responsible society,
- practices environmental prevention,
- invests knowledge and work in environmental protection,
- promotes eco-responsible consumption,
- reduces production and consumption,
- processes waste into raw materials,
- is energy-saving,
- abolishes environmentally harmful and implements environmentally friendly electricity production,
- closes down nuclear power plants and frees the planet of radioactive waste,
- takes care of rational use of natural resources,
- promotes organic farming,
- rejects genetic manipulation that could harm humanity,
- builds environmentally friendly and energy-saving urban centers,
- promotes establishment of natural and biosphere reserves,
- proclaims the planet to be our common home and a home of all living things.
Ecohumanist society doesn’t promise heaven on Earth. But it offers a possibility of building a better world. A world in harmony with nature. A world that preserves the planet’s ecological integrity on the behalf of every being on Earth. A world of contented people who respect nature and appreciate her advantages and beauty. A world of better present and even better future. The ecohumanist world.
The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again.
William Beebe (July 29, 1877 – June 4, 1962)